The time has finally come to get started on this room and I am so excited! When I first got pregnant and started planning Max's room I debated over whether or not to move him to a new room or re-do his existing room. I read that it's not a good idea to displace a toddler when a new baby comes along, but I really wanted to work with a room that hadn't been painted baby blue. In the end I decided to ask Max what he wanted. The room belonged to his cousin Ava (who he idolizes) for the 6 months that my sister lived with me. So when I asked him if he would like to move into Ava's room he was ridiculously excited about it. Win!!
I was still a bit worried about the whole 'kicking him out for the baby' thing, so Sean and I decided to do the switch well before this baby is born.
We started potty training yesterday (after months of half-hearted attempts) and Max did so well that I decided to reward him with his new big boy room. I've moved the main pieces of furniture into the room and Max slept in there for the first time last night.
When Sean got home from work last night, Max took his hand and dragged him straight down to the room. It was so adorable watching him point out all the things in the room. He is so proud to have a big boy room!
I haven't started to decorate it though, so I'm not going to share photos until it's done (or I at least have some decent progress).
Here's some of the images that are inspiring me (all can be found on my pinboard):
|I like the combination of dark timber and white (no giraffe though)|
|Nailhead trim on an upholstered headboard|
|Navy and white inspiration for the bedding.|
|I might have hanging globes instead of a map|
|White teepee and dark furniture|
|Large frame filled with photos of Max's art|
|I love this display shelf.|
And here's my to do list:
- Make a headboard and add furniture legs to Max's bed
- Make bedding, pillow covers and cushions - navy blue stripe
- Upholster bench seat cushions
- Turn ugly fake timber blinds into a custom roman blind
- Instal ceiling fan
- Refinish antique desk (made for my Mum by her Dad and used by me when I was little)
- Refinish toy box and add safety hinges
- Add shelving above toy box (ikea lack floating shelves?)
- Make display shelf
- Buy and hang globes or map
- Make floor cushions for teepee
- Print and frame collage of Max's art
- Create a gallery wall of empty frames for displaying more of Max's art
- Add shelving into wardrobe